Thursday 10 May 2018

Premise - Reflective Statement

On this project I encountered many issues and certainly didn't make it easy for myself. I had an entirely different idea to begin with which I believed in at first but just kept questioning it and I became really unsure with where it was headed, to the point where it seemed like a good idea to scrap my project and start fresh. I chose to make a comedy as that's my main form of entertainment and something I think I am able to do effectively to a point. Writing a script and beginning character design was hard as the project was still a bit of a mess, but when I started just drawing creatures I started to get somewhere. A lot of the thumbnails I drew were pretty terrible and not even cute but this was to my advantage as by the end of doing thumbnail sketches for the species I'd really gotten the hang of drawing "cute" creatures. I jumped a bit ahead and was advised by tutors to take a step back and really resolve the character shape. So I went back and did a load of more thumbnails, which ended up with something similar to what I had before, but far more resolved and I was happier with it so it was definitely worth going back and spending more time on that aspect of character design even if it meant compromising other work. I very much enjoyed the design process of this project. As I started this project quite late I didn't get the chance to spend as much time as I would like on the environment and props. What I drew for environments was fairly generic so I'm definitely going back to them, but I thought that for the moment the storyboard would be most important just so I could convey my idea to others. I wasn't able to fully finish my animatic for the presentation, there was about 5 shots from the end missing which meant the big payoff joke for the entire short film wasn't able to be shown effectively so I need to go back and finish that. I also wasn't overly happy with some of the shots in the animatic, I want to try make smoother transitions and think about how the camera will switch between shots within that world. What I want to spend time on now includes: finishing and improving the animatic, more environment and prop design, more character design and some tests with my characters within Maya to try out the fur textures.

No comments:

Post a Comment